Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA)?
PAIA is the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000 (“PAIA”). Access to information is a human right that is protected by Section 32 of the Constitution of South Africa. PAIA protects and upholds the rights of people to access to information.
What is the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA)?
POPIA is the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013. The University processes personal information lawfully and in a reasonable manner that does not infringe on the right to privacy or any other right of a person.
What is a POPI update request?
This request pertains to the update of biographical information about an individual by the same individual. (E.g. change of a maiden surname to a married surname, change of contact details etc.)
What is a POPI enquiry?
This pertains to a request for information that is in the possession of the University of Johannesburg from an individual about himself/herself.
What is a PAIA request?
This is a request for access to information of a public body. In this case, the information requested is data housed by the University of Johannesburg.
What is a PAIA Appeal?
Should the request for access to information be rejected, the appeal process can be applied.
Refer to the PAIA manual for more information.
How do I submit a request using the online platform?
Click on the relevant form type that appears on the left-hand side banner and complete all the required information.
Information Officer and Deputy Information Officers
Who is the Information Officer of the University of Johannesburg?
The Vice-Chancellor and Principal is the Information Officer for the University of Johannesburg.
Who are the Deputy Information Officers?
- The Registrar
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Academic
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research and Internationalization
- The Chief Financial Officer
- The Chief Operating Officer
- The UJ General Counsel
- The Senior Executive Director
Queries that are not related to PAIA or POPIA
Please note the information listed below is not regarded as a PAIA/POPIA request. Use the contact details listed below to obtain information from the relevant Division.
- Requesting a Transcript Supplement or an Academic Transcript/Record – Email the Qualification Verification Unit at email@example.com
- For queries pertaining to UJ certificates - Email the Certification Office on firstname.lastname@example.org
- All application-related enquiries – Email email@example.com
- For queries related to UJ login credentials (e.g. pin, password etc.) - Contact the UJ Call Center on 011 559 4555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All registration-related enquiries – Email email@example.com
- All graduation-related enquiries – Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All finance-related queries (fees, bursaries, NSFAS, refunds) - Click on the following link: Student Finance Contact Details
For any further information, please visit the UJ website on www.uj.ac.za